7.11.07

quilt for alzheimer's research


The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative auctions off art quilts every month to help support research into the disease. This little piece, "I Want To Be An Elephant" will be available through this website sometime in the near future. My artist's statement, written with the help of a good writer, reads:
When I was a young child, I heard a joke that went, “Why do elephants paint their toenails red?” The punch line was, “So that they can hide in cherry trees.” The joke was then followed by the question, “Have you ever seen an elephant in a cherry tree?” Since I hadn't, I was assured that it was because of those red toenails. My whole life since then, every time I see a cherry tree I look carefully, trying to find an elephant.
Sometimes I paint my toenails red. And when I am alone, with just my toes and me, I wonder if my family and friends know where I am. I wonder if they are searching in the cherry trees.

1 comment:

Linda Branch Dunn said...

I love the elephant quilt and its story. Here's one for you, overheard in college, told by a young man. "When I was little I wanted to be a bunny rabbit when I grew up. I loved bunnies. But then one day an adult asked, and when I answered, he laughed! He said, silly, you can't be a BUNNY when you grow up. So I felt sad, and gave up. Then, I decided, if I can't be a bunny, I'm going to be a squirrel. But I won't tell anyone.