27.8.09

not letting impulse take over

Going
collage
7 inches wide x 7 inches high

Heaven for me would be someone giving me a credit card with no limit, good health insurance, and a requirement that I spend at least four months on the road every year going, just going, seeing places, stopping where I wanted, looking at what I think is interesting, then taking another four months to teach about what I saw. And then, the last four months I could spend making my art with no disruption, no other requirements. When I am on the highway heading to work, I often think, well, what if I just kept going? Ignore the exit to school and just go, through Pennsylvania and Ohio and continue. Stop in Greensburg, Kansas, to see what it looks like after that tornado took the town away. Look down into the deepest hand-dug well, which still is a hole in the ground, see if it still looks like the hole that it looked like when I first saw it. And then stop in Great Falls, Montana, to look at those manipulated waterfalls, to try to imagine what Lewis and Clark saw when they came upon them back in 1802 or 1803. And in between, I would look at the fields and the rocks and the other villages, and eat the food and photograph the sky and read in the public libraries.

Having said all that, I do not mean to imply that what I am doing with my life now is bad. Not at all. Just sometimes my genetic GOING gets the best of me, and I want to just go. Remind me to tell you the story that both my great-grandmother and mother would tell about trains.

No comments: