25.8.09

today's color

Cut & Color, or How I Look 55
collage
7 inches wide x 7 inches high

A number of years ago, I saw a photograph of Martha Stewart in some magazine. What riveted me was her hair, specifically the many different colors that were in her hair: various shades of blonde and brown and even a little bit of red. It was extremely multicolored. I couldn't stop looking at it, and I don't know why. What was it about all those strands of hair, each a different color?

About every 4 or 5 weeks, I go have a magician make my hair look like many different shades of red. She also cuts it short so that I don't have to think about it at all. It can stand on end, or it can lay flat, and I won't care. But the color! The color is important. Partly, that's because it is keeping the grey away. But part of it is having those multicolored strands all in one place.

One day, however, I will go in there and ask that all the color be stripped, and I will walk out of there with my hair the grey that it is growing out as. One day, but not this day.

No comments: